Thursday 17 November 2022

Frank Ward elected new GS of TSSA

Congratulations to Frank Ward, the new General Secretary of the Transport Salaried Staffs' Association (TSSA).

This from the TSSA website:


Frank Ward writes:

Part of a family of railway workers my employment history started in BR in the West of Scotland in 1984. I joined TSSA on my first day when the paperwork at my induction included a TSSA membership application form which I was told in no uncertain terms had to be signed before I could begin my railway career! 

I worked as a booking clerk at various locations across Ayrshire before transferring to Glasgow Central as an enquiries clerk where I held a number of roles in our union as a workplace representative, Branch Officer and Divisional Council Officer. I started my employment with TSSA in 1995 as an assistant in what was then referred to as the National Negotiating Department and have held various responsibilities since then including member education, policy and legal advice, communications and political campaigning before taking on the role of Assistant General Secretary in 2012.

A Labour Party member for longer than I sometimes wish to remember I believe passionately that only a Labour government can deliver the opportunities, services and support that our communities so badly need and deserve if they are to thrive rather than divide.

For relaxation my wife indulges my passions for Celtic Football Club, horse racing and American basketball, baseball and ice hockey all because they feed her great passion for travel.

The industry will be watching closely to see if Frank maintains the somewhat polemical tone of his retired predecessor.