Wednesday 5 August 2009

Pearson's becomes family friendly?

Telegrammed by Lord Peter Whimsy
An extraordinary out of office email from FT transport hack Robert Wright...


"I am taking a day off to build a climbing frame for my children"

As Groucho Marx might have said "I didn't know you guys were allowed to have families."

UPDATE: This just in from the man himself!

I hadn't expected, I must admit, my working on the Jungle Gym Club, like the one seen here, to garner so much attention.

But, since it has, your readers might appreciate an update.

I finally completed work on the climbing frame - better described as a small, wooden house - at 9pm on Wednesday after spending Saturday and all of Sunday after church working on it.

The low point on Wednesday came when, after I'd dug substantial holes for the foundations, my electric drill, which has seen more work these last few days than in its entire previous life, gave up the ghost. There were 400 screws, each of which needed to have its position measured before a hole was drilled and the screw finally inserted.

However, rest assured, railway people. As with a new Bombardier EMU, there will be some retrofitting to correct manufacturing defects. I put the wrong kind of 80mm screws in a lot of the holes.

Also, the Fact Compiler shouldn't fear that I have a life.

Yesterday was taken as a day off in lieu for working this coming Sunday,


I left the office at 2.30am on Saturday and I've yet to take a day's annual leave this year.

Errr... thank you for this Robert. Eye is none the wiser but no doubt better informed.